Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Selling our home & Susanna's birth story

It is so hard to believe that we are moving! We have lived in this house for 21 years and 1 month, we purchased this house in August 1992.
Here is a bit of house history:
Over the years this house has been through a series of changes. When we purchased this house it was a 1,100 sq. ft. house with a carport. Our first change was to add on a 2 car garage...but not the garage that you see in the picture above, this garage came later.

 Our next addition came in 1997, when we added on our family room with fireplace, large bathroom, and 8x10 room....over the years the 8x10 room as been used as a multitude of things a closet, craft room, office, and Lego room, and more :)
When adding this addition on we also took out the old windows and door in our dining room, and replaced them with these 3 windows and a door. This area looks out to our pool.


This home was built in the early 1960's,
so it has undergone lots of face lifts while we have lived here.
In 2007/2008 we bumped out our garage, and then added on the girls bedroom and bathroom. While doing this we expanded our laundry room.
I have always been so thankful for a husband who can build and remodel...
Arthur has now taught (or in the process of teaching)
our children *girls and boys* to build, plumb, paint, wire, and repair things. 
Spring of 2009 we began a huge remodel on our kitchen and dining room,
they were 2 rooms. We pulled down a wall and opened the kitchen and dining area up,
we ripped up the floor and took the walls down to the studs....
it was a fun family project that was very rewarding in the end.
After all the additions over the years our house is now 2,900 sq. ft.
basically it grew as our family did :)
I could go on and on about all that we have done to this house from,
flooring, carpet, wall paper going up, to wall paper being torn down, new paint in rooms, and the list goes on.....
Most of these things I have tried to blog about over the years,
and you can find them with a search...
I had thought about linking lots of them but with packing, nursing Susanna,
and daily life, ummm no time for that ;)
The sell of our home:
May of 2012 we purchased a farm, and we began work to clean it up....
July 2012
We started working to tidy up the mess the farm was in, the more we worked the more we ALL began wanting to move to the farm and call it HOME!
In October of 2012 we began praying daily as a family that the Lord would
bring the perfect family to buy our house (once it was on the market).
 In early spring 2013 
a family approached Arthur and inquired if we would want to sell our home....
this was without our house even being on the market.
They came and toured our home 3 different times and ask us a host of questions to help
them with getting a loan worked out.
We had told them we weren't in a rush as we had Amanda's
wedding coming up so life was busy.
Once Amanda's wedding was behind us we thought it was time to contact the family,
the last we had talked to them they were just waiting on the wedding to be over.
Arthur contacted them, and they replied in an email that they had chosen not to purchase our home but the home they had been renting.
At the moment we were a little disappointed, yet, we knew the
Lord had the right family out there. This experience also prepared us for what was ahead if we
 were really wanting to sell our house.
Arthur said it was time to get our house ready to go on the market, because he knew summer was just around the corner and with a pool it's a good time to show our house.
We began to touch up paint, clean out closets, and get rid of any clutter.
We then called Arthur's brother and sister in law who own a Re/Max franchise in our town,
and told them we were ready to place our house on the market.
June 10, 2013
Our house officially hit the market, and life was about to get crazy!!!
It didn't take long before we were getting calls to show the house....
this meant our family needed to live with the mentality that someone could
be coming at any moment to look at our house....
not always an easy task with 12 people living daily life here.
We quickly established a good daily routine for cleaning up,
 with our entire family spending a vast majority of our
 time working at the store each day it helped keep our home clean.
We didn't just have to clean up, but we also had to be out of the house.
Most the time it worked  that we were at the store working.
At other times we would do our grocery shopping or errands.
The most difficult showing time was around dinner time....
So, as to not stress out the pregnant Mama, 
my sweet husband would treat us to dinner out.  
From June 10th to August 6th
our home was shown 32 times!!!!!
I believe we will all remember the summer of 2013 as a summer of house cleaning :)
Here is where Susanna's birth come in:
On the morning of August 7th,
our house was going to be shown again at 10:00 AM....
for the 33rd time
We woke up that morning knowing we only had a few things to tidy up before
the showing, because the house had just shown the night before.
I was a little slow that morning and not feeling the best as I had had contractions all
through the night. I began to make Ruth Ella's bed and decided I just needed to lay down a few minutes to rest. I couldn't rest long knowing we had to out of the house
in an hour or so. As I lay there I thought, well, this could be the day Baby M arrives....
up until that moment I had been thrilled our house was showing all 32 times,
even when they showed it on July 4th I didn't mind....
But today was different I just didn't feel myself and didn't care if it showed.
I told Arthur how I felt and he said we can cancel the showing,
 but I said "no let's just go ahead, it's clean"
We all went down to the store for the day, the schedule at the store was very full
that day so the morning moved quickly into afternoon.
Around 2PM I was feeling very tired like I needed to go lay down,
yet I knew there were still several dogs left to be groomed.
I talked with the girls about feeling the need to go home and get rest,
Rebekah said they could handle the rest of the day and suggested Elizabeth go home
 with me to care for the littles. Once home I changed clothes and took a nap.
I woke from my nap around 4:30 PM with an odd feeling, 
within minutes I knew that feeling well, it was hard contractions.....
I started to time them, they were coming every 8-10 minutes apart.
I continued to lay there for another hour timing contractions,
I heard Elizabeth in the kitchen and could smell the dinner she was cooking.
I got up to check on everyone and let them know that I thought that Baby M would be
arriving today.  I shared with Elizabeth that the contractions were hard and
picking up, she then called her Dad to tell him...
(he had been at the farm all day with a crew of workers) 
Arthur ask if I could talk with him, he had some news to share....
We had an offer on the house from the family who had been there that morning!
He then proceeded to tell me that we needed to meet our realtor to hear the offer,
and the sooner the better if we could.
I told him I felt Baby M was still going to be safe and snug inside for a bit longer,
and to go ahead and set up a time to hear the offer.
Minutes later Arthur called back to tell me that our realtor/Markietta
 would be coming to the house at 6:30 PM to bring the offer.....
(remember the realtor is our sister in law).
Markietta arrived and we went to the family room table to go over the offer,
 as we sat to talk with her the contractions continued to get stronger and faster.
We did a little number crunching, discussed a few things,
and then Arthur and I both agreed it was a good offer.
In the mix of all of this I would get up
 and walked around the room until the contraction would drift away.
We signed the papers, we were so excited!
I then stood up and told Arthur the contractions were getting much worse,
and I could tell things were really beginning to change.
He then ask me how close the contractions were coming,
an hour ago they were 6-7 minutes apart.
I told him I didn't want him to worry but they were now every 2-4 minutes.
Simultaneously Arthur and Markietta stood up and said
"oh you've got to get to the hospital"
I had my bag already packed, but I had a couple of last minute things I hoped to do.
I wanted to put up the baby bed, we had waited until the last minute because we wanted the house to look like a picture while being shown.
Madison and Rebekah had gotten it out of the attic and cleaned it up,
I just needed to put sheets on it.
Arthur said to let the girls do it, but I really wanted to...
So, I set out to put them on until,
 a SUPER HARD contraction hit,
I threw the sheets to the girls and told them to finish.
Arthur, the children, and I went to the living room and we had a prayer....
then out the door we went to the hospital.
I had called my sweet friend midwife Linda at home before we left,
thankfully she reached the hospital before we even arrived.
I was taken straight back and checked for dilation,
 I was excited to find out that I was already at 8cm...not far to go!
My labor was truly the easiest yet, and so very peaceful...thank you Lord,
my water broke when I reached 10cm, and few pushes later Miss Susanna was born!
We arrived at the hospital around 8:15 PM and Susanna arrived at 9:55 PM!


August 7, 2013 will forever be etched in our memories as a monumental day.....
We were beyond blessed with a precious treasure our daughter Susanna,
and our prayers were answered, sold our home!
Our lives have been very busy from the day Susanna was born. Our sweet baby girl wasn't just born into a large crazy family, but a family that was about to embark on unchartered waters....
Packing up 21 years of living and moving it all to our hobby farm!
We close on our house Monday, September 23
that same day the new owners will take possession of our home.
We have been moving things slowly to the farm over the past couple of weeks,
we pray to be moved out of here by the end of the week...
If, our family comes to mind we would welcome your prayers :)


1HappyWife said...

WoW!!! That is an amazing story!!!
Your family comes to mind often :) and we will be praying for you all during this very busy time.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your story Laura.:) That was a day of change....:) How exciting! We think of you everyday and we are praying for you all.

Nicole Pelkey said...

Wonderful story .. so happy for you all. I WILL be praying for you. How exciting. Can't wait to see the farm!!!!

victoria said...

That is an incredible story! I'll be praying your move goes well.


Lynda said...

Oh my - - - less than a week!!!! (I am reading this on Wednesday night.) I'm impressed you found time to write to us!!!!
I will pray for sure.

The Pauls' Family said...

Love it all! Thanks for sharing :)

Deb said...

YOU are amazing!! Along with the amazing story! LOL! I enjoyed reading it so very much. Yes, we are praying for you as this week progresses that all will go well and that the closing will be smooth with no problems. I'm sure you're looking forward to life settling down at the farm...well, maybe it will settle least from all the showings! :)

Cinnamon said...

I love it. Every word :-) In all your busy moments I'm so glad you took time to write it down here. Not just for us but for you too :-)

I laughed when you threw the sheets at the girls and told them to put them on. Aren't we Mama's silly in what we think "we" need to do - haha!

Susanna Grace is perfect in every way. Can't wait to see more pictures of her and of your new farm.

hugs~ Cinnamon
praying for you this week - for all to go well.

Cindy said...

I am stunned reading that story! Will definitely keep you all in my prayers for the big move-in day!

Rebecca R. said...

Wow, what a story! Glad you shared it with us. How exciting to be moving to the farm! That will be wonderful for all the children. I have often wished my 9 children could experience country life like I did growing up! Will pray as I think of it!

Momma Chilson said...

Such s sweet story! I will be praying for all of you! God is so good!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

I just love reading your blog!!! Your new farm house is a blessing too and your newest little one as well. Can't wait to see pictures as you ALL get settled in...

Rebekah said...

I LOVE your little girl's name!!! Susanna Grace was the name we had picked out for baby #8... who turned out to be a boy, then baby #9... who also turned out to be a boy, then we planned to use it for the next baby, but there never was a baby #10. :(
God's special blessings on you beautiful Susanna Grace!!! :)